Giuseppe Maggiolini

Giuseppe Maggiolini (1738 – 1814), Born in Milan, Italy. Maggiolini was a renowned and preeminent Italian marquetry cabinetmaker (ebanista) in Milan in the late18th century. Specializing in Neoclassical forms, veneered with richly detailed marquetry vignettes, often within complicated borders. Maggiolini collaborated on designs for the wedding of Archduke Ferdinand of Austria, the Habsburg governor of Lombardy, initiating Maggiolini’s work for the Habsburgs, rulers of Lombardy, for which he opened a second workshop, in Milan. In 1771 Maggiolini produced the marquetry flooring in the Palazzo di Corte in Milan. In 1777 he produced marquetry floors and furniture for the royal villa near Monza. In 1780 Maggiolini was commissioned for a new façade for the Church of Saints Gervasio and Protasio. Maggiolini’s characteristic furniture consists of commodes and chests, coffers and writing-desks and tables, inlaid with a wide variety of European woods and exotic woods imported from abroad, used in their natural colors or tinted. In 1806 he was commissioned to produce a writing table for Napoleon’s coronation in Milan; bringing forth more commissions, from Prince Eugène de Beauharnais and other Bonapartes. Some of Maggiolini’s pieces are on display at the Sforza Castle museum in Milan.